Sunday, June 28, 2009

sanpaku eyes are extremely creepy

Okay, so recently I've noticed this really strange phenomenon. There's this girl that works at the restaurant I work at, and I've always thought of her as, well... weird. Something about her eyes made me think that she could be a killer. Then the other day someone told me about something called "sanpaku eyes", and that she definitely has them. Apparently they are supposed to be the mark of the devil or something. However, upon doing some research, this is what I stumbled upon at BBC..

The Japanese have a word for one such condition, sanpakugan or 'three whites' eyes, often shortened to 'Sanpaku'. The amount of white, or sclera, that is visible when someone is looking straight ahead can say a lot. When a baby is born the coloured part of the eye, the iris, is neatly centred between the upper and lower eyelids with the sclera only visible at the sides. This indicates that the baby is unstressed and in good physical condition.

But there are states of ill-health that may cause the lower or upper sclera to become visible. Traditional Chinese medicine and homeopathy relies heavily on assessing visible often seemingly unrelated symptoms. When the lower sclera is visible, this is called 'Yin Sanpaku' and is attributed to physical imbalances in the body. Drug addicts, alcoholics and people who eat too much sugar or grain may exhibit 'Yin Sanpaku'. 'Yang Sanpaku' is where the upper sclera is visible and is sometimes indicative of mental imbalance. Psychotics, murderers, and people generally filled with rage are said to be liable to exhibit 'Yang Sanpaku'. However, stress and fatigue may also cause this symptom.


Here's a picture of some people with sanpaku eyes that you might recognize:







A lot of celebrities have had sanpaku eyes in the past. It may also be associated with premature death. A list of famous people with sanpaku eyes and their age of death: Abraham Lincoln-56, John F. Kennedy-46, Robert F. Kennedy-43, Heath Ledger-28, John Lennon-40, Marilyn Monroe-36, Elvis Presley-42. It can be known for anything from beauty to the mark of a cold blooded killer. Some nationalities will even run in fear from a sanpaku eyed person. Upon more research, a macrobiotic diet can apparently cure this "affliction"; which consists of things like brown rice, vegetables, and beans. I just think its plain creepy. What about you?

13 comments:

Julia Rashid said...

I've just discovered sanpaku eyes thing recently and I think I have them o.O It's kinda freaking me out to be honest. My lower sclera is slightly visible so that's yin sanpaku as they refer it to. I don't know if I've had them before or just got them recently. I need to check my old pictures hahah. I did read somewhere else that they may be caused by stress. If I did get them recently, I'm blaming A-levels -.-

Unknown said...

Also known as scleral show to reasonable individuals. It occurs when the muscles below the eyes do not cover the bottom portion of the eye. It may also be due to the structure of the cheekbones. I am aware that this was posted seven years ago, but to those who are reading this now, please do not judge others without basis, and do not be hard on yourself because of other's perception of you. All the best on your journey through life!

Yours truly,
Jess

Unknown said...

I have had a friend's wife die prematurely of leukemia last year. She was sanpakugan. Her mom was a chain smoker when she was little and she grew up in an environmentally stressed area of Michigan most likely exposed to toxic substances in the environment. If I would have known about this before I a may have been able to have saved her life. This is a serious condition and I think if you are aware of it, you should let that person know. It could just save a life! I understand what Jess says, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Get yourself checked out and urge that person to get themselves checked out or read up on it. Even if they don't believe you, at least you tried.

Anonymous said...

You are all bulshiting. I have so-called sanpaku yin eyes,and i have them since i was a kid. I dont use any drugs,o alcohol and no sugar addict. It doesnt have to mean that ecerything unusual and different is anormal

Misunderstood said...

Yes Jess,I dont know why everything unusual and different needs to be seen as necesaary bad. I have sanpaku eyes and no bad health condition or anything..i dont remember my eyes being different than this

Unknown said...

I come to know about lower sanpaku and upper sanpaku after reading Michio Kushi book "An introduction to oriental diagnosis"My self i have lower sanpaku eyes.
Most of my relatives who have lower sanpaku eyes are addicts,either alcohol,tobacco or alcohol(myself included).Some have not live long and have died under mysterious circumstances i.e shot dead,lynch by mob ...etc
This "Sanpaku yin-yang theory" is real,and am freaking out ,after all the Japanese philosopher George Oshawa predicted the death of Marilyn Monroe...

Max said...

It is not a health condition it is total ridiculous pseudoscience! Look up Cecil adam’s writings about it it. There is no scientific basis for it having ANYTHING to do with the early deaths of JFK, etc. It is simplistic superstitious and frankly stupid to buy into this myth.

Max said...

How can you be so simplistic and looking for easy answers? Millions of people have this trait, like having dimples, and are perfectly healthy. It is not a health condition it is total ridiculous pseudoscience! Look up Cecil adam’s writings about it it. There is no scientific basis for it having ANYTHING to do with the early deaths of JFK, etc. It is simplistic superstitious and frankly stupid to buy into this myth.

Max said...

Yes, thank you. The people believing in it are being simplistic and medieval. This is not a credited theory in any realm except total pseudoscience.

Max said...

Exactly. It is a basic, fairly common trait. People just like to make connections to hold onto simplistic explanations for otherwise complex situations such as JFK’s death.

Max said...

It is not a health condition it is total ridiculous pseudoscience! Look up Cecil adam’s writings about it it. There is no scientific basis for it having ANYTHING to do with the early deaths of JFK, etc. It is simplistic superstitious and frankly stupid to buy into this myth.

Tez-catli-poca said...

Let people enjoy things....I just learned Sanpaku eyes just now and am enjoying what I am “learning”. Superstitions can be interesting when a pattern is found. It is just human nature to become curious over patterns and repetition. Let people enjoy things, Max.

july said...

it's just a superstition Japanese have